Dental care for teens
As they get older and gain independence, teens need to take a more proactive role in their oral health. Stress the importance of good oral hygiene at home, and schedule regular checkups with their dentist. Encourage them to share any dental concerns they have that may warrant an extra visit.
- Brush teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Brush the top surface of your tongue.
- Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces.
- Clean between teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Eat a balanced diet and try to avoid extra-sugary treats.
If you play sports that involve contact, we recommend the use of a mouthguard. This includes football, baseball, basketball, soccer, volleyball and other sports. Ask us about having a custom-fitted mouthguard made to protect teeth, lips, cheeks and gums.
See the dentist to prevent problems before they start
The health of the teeth and mouth is important to the well-being of the entire body. While routine brushing and flossing at home is necessary to keep your smile looking its best, visiting your dentist for a comprehensive exam and cleaning is essential. The ADA and AAPD recommend that you visit your dentist every six months to ensure your teeth stay healthy and your smile stays beautiful.
By routinely seeing your dentist for exams and cleanings, you can:
- Prevent tooth decay, gum disease and bad breath
- Save money by avoiding costly and extensive dental procedures
- Keep their teeth white by reducing staining from food and drinks
- Shorten the time spent in the dentist’s office
- Have a smile that will last a lifetime
Regular dental checkups are an important part of maintaining oral health. During regular checkup, your dentist or hygienist will:
- Check for any problems
- Look for cavities or any other signs of tooth decay
- Inspect teeth and gums for gingivitis and signs of periodontal disease
- Provide a thorough teeth cleaning, rinse, and polish